Every year, the world produces 270 million metric tons of Chemicals of High Concern (CoHCs), including BPAs, phthalates, styrene… Unfortunately, the list goes on and on. Estimates show that up to 90% of them have been used in the petroleum-based plastics industry.
Sounds pretty serious. And it is. We’re the first people that want to keep things light-hearted, but this topic deserves a bit more precision, and we’re not satisfied using general terms about hazardous materials without explaining exactly what we mean.
So, here’s the details we provide with all our products and our commitment to you:
good naturedTM products and packaging are in compliance with food safety and environmental health regulations throughout their life cycles – from design, development and selection of material formulations through manufacturing, packaging, product end use and disposal.
At good naturedTM, we believe our planet and our people deserve products that are not only free from chemicals of concern, but also won’t leach hazardous chemicals during their manufacture, use or disposal.
Every single chemical constituent in our material formulations undergoes a rigorous safety assessment in accordance to major regulations around the world (e.g. FDA, REACH) and only when confirmed as safe per these regulations is an ingredient used in our products. In addition, our manufacturing processes undergo technical review by process safety experts.
good naturedTM takes no known risks with its materials when it comes to human and environmental health and safety, and all good naturedTM branded products are compliant with these regulatory requirements, including but not limited to:
- FDA Compliance – all resins, additives, colorants, coatings and other ingredients used to manufacture good naturedTM’s products have been approved for food grade applications under FDA Regulations 21CFR
- 21CFR 184.1061 Lactic acid
- 21CFR 177.2420 Polyester resins, crosslinked
- 21CFR 175.300 Resinous and polymeric coatings
- 21CFR 178.3570 Lubricants with incidental food contact
- 21CFR 176.170 Components of paper and paperboard in contact with aqueous and fatty food
- 21CFR 178.3400 Emulsifiers and/or surface active agents
- 21CFR 181.28 Release agents
- 21CFR 178.3297 Colorants for polymers
- Bisphenol A (BPA) – all materials and products formulated and/or manufactured by good naturedTM are Bisphenol A free
- Phthalates – good naturedTM does not utilize phthalates (DEPH, DINH, DOP, etc.) during our manufacturing process nor are these chemicals present in our material formulations
- Fluoro-Surfactants – good naturedTM does not use any fluoro-surfactants (PFOS, PFOA, PFNA, etc.) in the manufacturing process of any of our products
- Latex – good naturedTM does not use natural rubber latex in the manufacturing of our products, nor is it intentionally added into any of our products
- Proposition 65 – good naturedTM’s products are in compliance with California’s Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act (Proposition 65)
- REACH (EC 1907/2007) – good naturedTM’s products do not contain any of the substances of high concerns listed by European Chemical Agency’s (ECHA) Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) regulation
- RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances; 2011/65/EU) – the following chemicals are not intentionally introduced into any of our products:
- Hexavalent Chromium
- Polybrominated Biphenyls (PBB)
- Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDE)
- BIS (2-Ethylhexyl) Phthalate (DEHP)
- Butyl Benzyl Phthalate (BBP)
- Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)
- Diisobutyl Phthalate (DIBP)
- Ozone Depleting Chemicals – all good naturedTM products are free from, and manufactured without, ozone depleting chemicals listed under the Clean Air Act (CFCs & HCFCs)
- Reduction of Toxics in Packaging (TPCH); formerly CONEG – all packaging and packaging components sold by good naturedTM comply with the requirements of the toxics in packaging law(s). Specifically:
- We certify that the regulated metals –lead, mercury, cadmium, and hexavalent chromium– are not intentionally added to any package or packaging component during the manufacturing process
- We further certify that the sum of the incidental concentration levels of lead, mercury, cadmium and hexavalent chromium present in any package or package component does not exceed 100 parts per million by weight
- Gluten – good naturedTM does not intentionally introduce gluten into any of our material formulations.
- Allergens – good naturedTM does not intentionally introduce allergens such as gluten, nuts or wheat into any of our bioplastic products.
Since our inception, commitment to the principles of Green Chemistry and environment health and safety have been core values of good naturedTM, We refer to the most updated versions of these regulations and lists while developing and formulating any new products to ensure ongoing compliance.
Click here to read the everyday English version of California’s Proposition 65, widely considered to be one of the most comprehensive lists of chemicals that are potentially hazardous to human health and the environment.